Summary of Benefits
- It can help the mother bond with her baby in the womb as there are techniques that can be incorporated directly through the womb.
- Effective for traumatised babies and parents.
- Benefits baby - helps baby to get in a good position for labour (optimal foetal position).
- Extremely beneficial for preventing and treating postnatal depression, the mother is less likely to be distressed in labour - supports baby's physical and emotional development.
What to expect
The practitioner will consider your state of health and the symptoms that you are experiencing, depending on your constitution, general energy levels, and the baby's stage of development. A variety of techniques will be used on the meridians - these may include gentle holding, pressing with palms, thumbs, fingers, and when appropriate, rotations and stretches.
Each session lasts about one hour and the treatment is between 35 and 50 minutes. In your first session the practitioner will spend time obtaining information about you in order to make up a case history.
This is a confidential record of your personal details, you will also be asked about your diet, etc. Once the practitioner has made a composite diagnosis the treatment begins. The treatment takes place on a futon mattress on the floor, with cushions to support the pregnant mum. If you are unable to lay on the floor, the treatment can be given on a chair or on a bed.
Conditions helped by Shiatsu
- Morning sickness
- Carpal tunnel
- Colds and sinus congestion
- Hypotension and hypertension
- Ligament pain
- Painful labour
- Poor lactation
- Varicose veins
Shiatsu can also help with problems of infertility and menopause.